Enter subtitle here
For Sale by Public Auction.... Saturday 10th July 1948....
The HOME FARM HOUSE built of brick and roughcast and tiled and containing:
Entrance Hall - oak studwork and rafters. Hall & staircase.
Dining Room - stove, tiled sides, cupboard.
Drawing Room - stove
Kitchen - ideal Independent Boiler; sink (H&C); electric pump; cupboards. Pantry with shelving.
2 Double Bedrooms; 3/4 Bedroom; Bathroom; Lavatory. There are 2 attics.
Outside: Bin House; Coal House; Copper House; Store
Farm Premises: Brick; Tile; Clay-lump; & Timber:
Barn; Cart-horse stabling for 3; Harness Room; Horse yard; 2 Loose Boxes & Shed. Pony boxes.
Piggeries; Riding Stable & Implement shed
In 1948 Home Farm was up for sale as part of the Mergate Hall Estate, along with Mergate Hall, 3 farms, various cottages and 880 acres of land.
MORE TO FOLLOW ON 20th CENTURY OWNERSHIP
Although owned and occupied by Eleanor Smith in 1842, it too became a tenant farm, possibly taken back into ownership by the Kemps of Mergate Hall. By the 1860s it was rented out to the Dye family who hailed from Tasburgh but had been farming in Newton Florman. Samuel Dye snr was a carpenter and wheelwright and owned the Horseshoes at Tasburgh. Two of his sons became carpenters or wheelwrights - Samuel jnr pursued that trade in Mulbarton whilst running the Tradesman's Arms, and his other son, Alfred, became a Baptist Minister and itinerant preacher, but wrote of his happy childhood at Home Farm, Bracon Ash until his father died in 1866.
At some stage Home Farm was incorporated back into the Mergate estate.